goharkhan Posts: 6 1 year ago

I've been running a voice over gig on Fiverr for over 6 months now, and I wanted to share some audio blunders that hindered me that I hope can help you!

First off, make sure you have a good mic, that uses an XLR cable and plugs into an audio interface. If you are trying to be a professional voice over artist, you can't do it with a USB mic!

Secondly, ensure you have studio quality headphones! AKG has some amazing affordable ones here. I recently got a Scarlett Focusrite Solo audio interface, and my old headphones were plugged in and I couldn't hear any sound! It was very muffled. It turns out, my old cheap headphones did not have a builtin AMP! It turns out, due to the power of an audio interface, you MUST use studio quality headphones with a built in AMP to boost the signal coming from the interface. After getting the right headphones, I can actually direct-monitor my voice, I can hear all of my mouth noise, and I have no more problems!

Another blunder, to prevent static and distortion, ensure you're midi controller for your interface, or the app that controls the input and output for your interface, matches the same hz that you are recording in your DAW! For example, ensure your interface input and output is 48hz, and that the input/output for your computer is the same number, and your DAW is set to record in the same frequency as well!

Lastly... a MAJOR annoyance I recently fixed.... I was getting static intermittently while recording. I have a pro mic, a brand new XLR cable, a brand new interface, and up-to-date drivers.... I did everything right, it was driving me crazy.... then I got a text, when the text came in, the electromagnetic waves being emitted from my phone were causing my mic to have static! Since moving my phone out of my booth, I have no more interference!

I hope these tips helped you and can save you some time! Good day, and good recording! May you all be well, happy, and peaceful!